Monday, February 5, 2007

Snickers Super Bowl Ad

Okay, so I ran across an article on a blog that takes a particularly offended view of the snickers ad that ran during the super bowl last night. I had originally refused to put a damn thing up about the super bowl, but now they've pissed me off. The ad can be viewed here. Now the ad itself is not entirely offensive. It can be indirectly linked to show how they are endorsing violence against gays, but for the most part, "it makes the mechanics out to be social neanderthals" as the blogger of Towleroad put it. I have to admit, I agree, the commercials alone are not that big a deal.

However, that's not what pissed me and these other bloggers off so much. When you open up the window that allows you to view the ad, there are the reactions to the commercial from the players on the opposing teams. They clearly show disgust to the scene where the two men kiss. John from DC on his AMERICAblog puts it rather succinctly, "These are role models for kids, and they're telling America's kids, and rather scary adults, that two guys kissing "ain't right.""

To exacerbate the situation a little further, we find that all this time Mars, which own snickers, m&m's and so forth is owned by a family of billionaires that actively supports the Republican party. They were also at the forefront of lobbying to repeal the estate tax. These don't sound like great people to me, but maybe I'm just overreacting... Or maybe I just won't eat any more of their chocolate. Who wants to boycott?! I do! I do!

The ad along with players reactions can be viewed by clicking here.
The AMERICAblog article can be viewed by clicking here.
The Towleroad article can be viewed by clicking here.
Snickers can be reached here.

No comments: