Sunday, February 4, 2007

Marie Antoinette

So I know that nearly everyone is going to disagree with me, but I think the movie Marie Antoinette looks startlingly interesting. I say "startlingly interesting" only because it strikes me that originally it did not look so interesting, even to me. However, I am, and always have been, fascinated with stories of famous and influential people, especially women, who have fallen from grace or found themselves otherwise "in over their heads" as they say. Marie Antoinette was no exception becoming a bride to a rather ill-equipped husband at the age of only fifteen, stripped away from all she knew. Her most famous quote was, as we all know, "Let them eat cake." However, she was a far more complex character than that quote alone would allow us to believe. In fact, when she first became Queen of France, she was hailed as the Queen of Compassion and rather beloved by the people of France.

What turned me off to the idea of the movie when I first saw print advertisement for it was the fact that it seemed to have an 80's flair to it. I immediately thought to myself that this was in terrible taste. But I watched the trailer online recently, and found that it was actually done very tastefully. What's more is that the official site for the movie actually has some real history listed, which raises my hopes that the movie had as much, if not more, research put into it. I also am usually not a fan of Kirsten Dunst, but she, again, startled me in the way she seems to portray this woman in the trailer.


Now, I know that the movie has already been released in theatres and in fact, is no longer showing there, but I am wanting to rent it when it comes out of DVD later this month. I say, at least take a look at the trailer.



The online trailer can be watched by clicking here.


The official website can be reached by clicking here.
(I warn that the music on the official site comes on a bit loudly.)

No comments: